“Women Now For Development “SFD” (Previously Soriyat For Development) is a Syrian non-governmental organization. The organization was established on June 23rd, 2012 in Paris, France.
Women Now For Development “SFD” began in 2012 by launching a series of small projects that supported ten families. Today SFD is the largest women’s organization working to empower Syrian women inside Syria and its neighboring countries. More than 10,000 people benefited from our services in 2014.
SFD works from within Syria and cooperates with local partners, grassroots organizations, civil society activists, international NGOs, and other partners to consolidate women’s roles in Syrian communities by enhancing their social, economic and cultural participation.
Today, our team is made up of 87 determined women and 4 men. The majority work inside Syria and the others are based in Lebanon, Turkey and France. We all work together to empower ourselves and the community around us to make a significant change for the future of our country.
Women Now For Development “SFD” aims to engender the development of a society governed by democracy, freedom, and justice – a society where women have a meaningful role in everyday Syrian life.
Women Now SFD’s mission is to support and empower women and children: to protect them from the consequences of war and to allow them to participate in the social movement for peace, human rights, and gender equality.
Area of involvement:
Syria and neighboring countries (Lebanon and Turkey).
Syrian women and children
Areas of engagement:
- Fighting illiteracy, especially among women and youth
- Economic empowerment of women through training and providing support to create income generating activities
- Education through courses in technology, communications, and foreign languages
- Supporting women’s access to society and building civic engagement
- Children’s education and protection
• Launch of seventeen micro-projects for widowed women in northern Syria: more than 150 beneficiaries (women and children)
• Support of four educational initiatives: more than 1,000 beneficiaries (children and young women)
• Support of the growth of civil society and humanitarian projects: more than 1,000 beneficiaries (women, children and men)
• Launch of Women Now Center For Women’s Empowerment:
Four centers in Syria and Lebanon
600 beneficiaries (women) per month: the centers provide training, psycho-social support, and cultural events for the women.
2,318 women graduated
200 children and youth beneficiaries per month
• Partnership with Hurass Network for Child Protection:
Implementation of the child protection chart in Women Now Centers
Support of three education centers: 1,347 beneficiaries
19 trainings for child protection: 285 beneficiaries (teachers, social workers)
Women Now is affiliated with CODSSY “Collectif du Développement et du Secours Syrien”